RETURN TO INDEX
Chorale 1 - Aus meines Herzens Grunde
- Text by Georg Niege; 16th Century secular melody, first appears in sacred use in Neu Catechismus-Gesangbüchlein, Hamburg, 1598.
Chorale 2 - Ich dank dir, Heber Herre
Chorale 3 - Ach Gott, vom Himmel seih darein
- Opening chorale of solo cantata for alto, tenor, and bass. In the chorale, Violin 1 plays with the soprano, violin 2 with the alto, viola with the tenor and the continuo with the bass. Text based on Psalm XII, written by Martin Luther in 1524. Melody anonymous from the Erfurter Enchiridion, 1524.
Chorale 4 - Es ist das Heil uns kommen her
- Final chorale in solo cantata for soprano, alto, tenor and bass. Instrumentation: strings and two oboes.
Chorale 5 - An Wasserflussen Babylon
Chorale 6 - Christus, der ist mein Leben
Chorale 7 - Nun lob, mein Seel, den Herren
- Final chorale of second part. Oboe 1, 2 & violin 1 with soprano, violin 2 with alto, viola with tenor and continuo with bass. Text by Johann Gramann, 1525, based on Psalm 103. 15th century melody used in Johann Kugelmanns Concentus Novi, Augsburg, 1540.
Chorale 8 - Freuet euch, ihr Christen alle
- Final chorale. Text by Christian Keimann, 1646, melody by
Andreas Hammerschmidt, 1646.
Chorale 9 - Ermuntre dich, mein schwacher Geist
- Text by Johann Rist, 1641, melody by Johann Schop, 1641. Transverse flute 1, 2 (in 8va), oboe damore 1, 2, violin 1 with soprano, oboe da caccia 1 and violin 2 with alto, oboe da caccia 2 and viola with tenor, organ and continuo with bass.
Chorale 10 - Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir
- Final chorale. Oboe 1, 2, violin 1, trombone 1 with soprano, violin 2, trombone 2 with alto, viola, trombone 3 with tenor, trombone 4, continuo with bass.
Chorale 11 - Jesu, nun sei gepreiset
- Final chorale. Abbreviated from full score where measure 4, 8, and last each represent 2 measures where trumpet fanfare enters on long notes.
Chorale 12 - Puer natus in Bethlehem
- Text 14th century Latin, 1543 German chorale. Melody 1553 anonymous.
Chorale 13 - Allein zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ
- Final chorale. Oboe 1, violin 1 with soprano, oboe 2, violin 2 with alto, viola with tenor, organ, continuo with bass. Text Konrad Hubert, 1507-1577. Melody anonymous Wittenberg, 1541.
Chorale 14 - O Herre Gott, dein gottlich Wort
Chorale 15 - Christ lag in Todesbanden
- Bach, 371 Harmonized Chorales and 69 Chorale Melodies with Figured Bass, edited by Albert Riemenschneider and published by G. Schirmer, NY.
- 101 Chorales Harmonized by Johann Sebastian Bach, compiled and edited by Walter E. Buszin, published by Schmitt, Hall & McCreary.